The Indian Medical Association (IMA) has written to Narendra Modi, requesting the Prime Minister to initiate action under “sedition charges” against Patanjali Ayurved founder and Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev.
In a letter dated 26 May, the IMA also states, “Misinformation campaign on vaccination by Patanjali owner Ramdev should be stopped. Action under sedition charges should be taken against him.”
Ramdev Remarks on Allopathy
In a viral video, Ramdev claimed that over 10,000 doctors in India have died even after getting both doses of the coronavirus vaccine. He is also seen advising the crowd on the benefits of yoga exercises in strengthening lungs against the virus. He also claims to be a doctor “without any degree but with divinity and dignity”.
A controversy sparked off after the viral video, Ramdev claimed that medicines such as remdesivir and favipiravir approved by the Drugs Controller General of India for coronavirus treatment had failed. “Lakhs of patients have died because of allopathic medicines rather than a shortage of oxygen,” he claimed.
Yoga guru claiming Allopathy as stupid science. This pandemic brings new shock every day. pic.twitter.com/1W9ojVOIGY— Subhasree Ray (@DrSubhasree) May 21, 2021
After sparked controversy on his claims, Ramdev’s organisation, the Patanjali Yogpeeth, said that his comment was taken “totally out of context”.
The general secretary of the Patanjali Yogpeeth, Balkrishna said that the video was truncated and that the yoga guru has no ill-will towards modern science and its practitioners.
“It is necessary to mention that the event was a private event and Swami jee [Ramdev] was reading out a forwarded WhatsApp message received by him and various other members who were participating in the event,” his statement claimed.
Let us all join our hands to heal the diseased humanity by combining ancient and modern scientific wisdom, and by dissolving the hard boundaries of various — pathy's or their treatment ways @ians_india @ANI pic.twitter.com/OedThJDYOW— Acharya Balkrishna (@Ach_Balkrishna) May 22, 2021
The incident prompted the Indian Medical Association(IMA) to demand action against Ramdev for his comments under the Epidemic Disease Act from the Centre.
The IMA said it will go to the court if the health minister does not take suo moto action against Ramdev.
“The healthcare of a country should be handled by a professional in a professional way,” the association said. “Treating unscientific illiteracy with deaf ears and blind eyes is hardly professionalism.”
Following which Vardhan tweeted a letter he had sent to Ramdev asking the yoga guru to withdraw his comment.
“Doctors and health workers working on a war-footing for the country are god-like,” Vardhan wrote in a tweet. “Ramdev has hurt the sentiments of the country by insulting the Corona warriors. I have written to him asking to withdraw his comment.”
संपूर्ण देशवासियों के लिए #COVID19 के खिलाफ़ दिन-रात युद्धरत डॉक्टर व अन्य स्वास्थ्यकर्मी देवतुल्य हैं।— Dr Harsh Vardhan (@drharshvardhan) May 23, 2021
बाबा @yogrishiramdev जी के वक्तव्य ने कोरोना योद्धाओं का निरादर कर,देशभर की भावनाओं को गहरी ठेस पहुंचाई।
मैंने उन्हें पत्र लिखकर अपना आपत्तिजनक वक्तव्य वापस लेने को कहा है। pic.twitter.com/QBXCdaRQb1
“You should be aware that allopathy has given cures for serious ailments like small pox, polio, Ebola, SARS and tuberculosis,” Vardhan wrote in the letter. “Even the vaccine that has proved to be a potent weapon against coronavirus is also a gift of allopathy.”
Vardhan also told Ramdev that the clarification issued by Patanjali Yogpeeth was insufficient. “You [Ramdev] have mentioned in the clarification that you do not have ill intentions for modern science and good doctors,” Vardhan wrote. “I do not regard this justification as a viable one.”
Here’s What Happened Next
However, Ramdev withdrew his statement questioning the efficacy of allopathy medicines, but he bombarded the IMA with a flurry of questions and asked if allopathy offered permanent relief for ailments such as hypertension and diabetes.
Baba Ramdev posed before the IMA the following questions:-
- What permanent solution does allopathy offer for treating Hypertension and its complications?
- What permanent solution does Allopathy offer for treating Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, and its complications?
- What permanent solution does allopathy offer for treating Thyroid, Arthritis, Colitis, and Asthma?
- Just like allopathy offers treatment for TB and Chicken Pox, does it has any medicine for treating Fatty Liver, Liver Cirrhosis, Hepatitis? Find a solution to such diseases as allopathy is a field, which is over 200 years old.
- What treatment does the pharma industry offer to research heart blockages? Does it also offer a non-surgical solution to Angioplasty?
- Does the pharma Industry offer treatment for Enlarged Heart and Ejection Fraction (ET) without using a pacemaker?
- Does Allopathy offer treatment for reducing cholesterol triglycerides, which does not cause any side-effect on the liver?
- Does the pharma Industry have a permanent solution to cure Headache and Migraine?
- Does the pharma Industry have any permanent treatment so that glasses and hearing aid can be removed?
- Give a curable treatment for Pyria in Allopathy, which can stop the weakening of gums and teeth.
- Is there is medicine, which can help a person reduce 0.5–1 kg every day without any surgical treatment?
- Give a permanent solution for Psoriasis, Arthritis, and White Spot Syndrome in Allopathy.
- Does modern medical science offer any treatment for curing spondylitis and turning RA (Rheumatoid factor) from positive to negative?
- Is there any permanent treatment for Parkinson’s disease in Allopathy?
- Does the pharma industry have any side-effect-free cure for constipation, gastric, and acidity problem?
- Does Allopathy have a permanent cure for Insomnia?
- Is there any treatment to reduce stress hormones and increase happy/good hormones in Allopathy?
- Besides IVF, which is a very painful process, does Allopathy offers any natural treatment for infertility?
- Name any medicine in the pharma industry, which can help in researching the ageing process of humans.
- Suggest an Allopathic treatment to increase haemoglobin without any side effects.
- Mankind is walking towards the path of hatred and violence. Is there any Allopathic treatment for the same?
- Is there any Allopathic medicine, which can help a person to give up all drug-related addictions?
- Does the pharma industry has a medicine, which can put an end to a fight between Allopathy and Ayurveda?
- Does the pharma industry have a solution to treat COVID-19 patients, without using liquid medical oxygen?
- If Allopathy is capable of treating every disease and health condition, then its doctor should never fall ill.
Yoga guru talks about biased-ness towards Ayurveda
In the letter addressed to Harsh Vardhan, through which he had withdrawn his comment on allopathy, the Patanjali co-founder and Yoga guru had talked about bias towards Ayurveda. He had said, “Many doctors have called Ayurveda, Yoga as ‘pseudo science’ and have disrespected, and hurt the feelings of many. This should be avoided.”
Comparing Ayurveda and allopathy, the yoga guru had said, “If allopathy has found the treatment of diseases like Polio and Tuberculosis, Ayurveda has given the formula to keep lingering diseases like Blood pressure, sugar, thyroid, fatty liver, under control.”
“Even in the times of Corona, though we respect and appreciate the selfless service provided by doctors to save the lives of crores of people across India, we would like to highlight that even we have saved the lives of many, and even that should also be respected,” he added.
Yesterday, IMA served a defamation notice on Ramdev for his remarks against allopathy and allopathic doctors. It demanded an apology from him within 15 days, failing which the yoga guru will have to remunerate compensation of Rs 1,000 crore. The six-page notice served on behalf of IMA (Uttarakhand) secretary Ajay Khanna by his lawyer Neeraj Pandey calls the remarks by Ramdev as damaging to the reputation and the image of allopathy and around 2,000 practitioners of it who are part of the association.
Ayurveda or Allopathy?
The debate of Ayurveda or Allopathy is ages old, and have resurfaced in the wake of the rift between the IMA and Yoga Guru Ramdev. So let’s understand the importance of both and try to map a way forward.
Allopathic medicine is a system of healthcare. It has had the most evidence-based scientific research, data collection, and drug testing. It’s also the most regulated by a neutral party like the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the American Medical Association.
In comparison, homoeopathy drugs haven’t had any or adequate amounts of research and testing. The correct dosages, effects, and side effects may not be known. Homoeopathy drugs also aren’t regulated. Some may contain ingredients that have unknown or harmful effects.
However, homoeopathy, naturopathy, and other types of medicine have been used for generations in some cases. Some homoeopathy drugs and supplements show favorable results.
The action of long-used herbs and tonics are getting some research to substantiate their usage. More testing, research, and regulation is needed.
Allopathic is steadily working on more integrative approaches and potential interactions with mainstream medicine.
Other areas of study in allopathic medicine include exercise and reducing the use of antibiotics and other medications that may have harmful effects.
No healthcare system is precise. Combining homoeopathic and other alternative medicine with allopathic or mainstream medicine might work in treating people with some types of illnesses or diseases.
Any kind of medical treatment should be tailored to the individual and treat the whole person, not symptoms alone.
Account of medicine is a fascinating subject as it is a chronicle of the journey of man’s struggle against disease. As civilization progresses and as the diseases mutate, medical science also evolves. Ayurveda is the system of medicine that evolved in India with a rationale logical foundation and it has survived as a distinguished actuality from secluded ancientness to the existing day. The fundamentals on which the Ayurvedic system is established are essentially true for all times and do not change from age to age. These are based on human actors, on innate causes. The origin of Ayurveda is attributed to Atharva Veda where mention is made of several diseases with their treatments. Later, from the 6th Century BC to the 7th Century AD there was systematic development of science and it is called the Samhita period when a number of classical works were produced by several authors and during this period there is evidence of organized medical care.
Both Ayurveda and Homeopathy being alternative medicines have drawn criticism worldwide. Ayurvedic treatment has come under scrutiny owing to the insufficiency of evidence proving the effectiveness of the drugs. As homoeopathic medicines that are used for treatment are highly diluted, there is no trace of the original substance left in the dilution. Thus any improvement in the patient’s condition is ascribed to the placebo effect.
Ayurveda/Homeopathy Vs Allopathy makes up for an interesting point of investigation. Both of them provide an alternative course of treatment from the unfavourable side effects of allopathic treatments. Ayurveda and Homeopathy, rather than just treating the illness, dives deeper into the health and well-being of the body. Albeit the criticism of their credibility, Ayurvedic and homoeopathic practices are adopted worldwide, successfully treating many patients but unable to replace Allopathy.